Further to our client alerts dated on 31st March 2020 and 3rd April 2020, the Malaysian Government has decided to extend the Movement Control Order (“MCO”) by two weeks until 28th April 2020. The Intellectual Property Corporation of Malaysia (“MyIPO”) has issued an official directive as follows:-
Deadlines, hearings and certification of documents
- Manual filing of trademark, patent and industrial design applications which involve claiming of priority date falling within 18th March 2020 to 28th April 2020 will be extended to 4th May 2020. Nonetheless, applicants are encouraged to file such applications by 29th April 2020 in accordance with Article 4(C)(3) of Paris Convention.
- Deadline for payment of annuity and renewal fees (if manual filing is required) have been extended to 15th May 2020.
- Deadlines to respond to any office action issued by MyIPO has been extended to 15th May 2020.
- All other deadlines and procedure remains unchanged as per our client alert dated 31st March 2020.
We are attending to clients’ matters and instructions as promptly as we could in the circumstances. As part of our Firm’s Business Continuity Plan (BCP), all our partners and lawyers are working from home and may be contacted at their respective email addresses and mobile phones.
Please feel free to contact us should you need clarification or our assistance.
Managing Partner and Head, IP
* This Alert is intended for general information of the clients of our Firm. It should not be regarded as legal professional advice.