Dato’ Param Cumaraswamy was born in 1941 and received his early education in Kuala Lumpur. He is a Barrister-at-law of the Inner Temple, London, and an Advocate and Solicitor based in Kuala Lumpur since 1967. He was the Managing Partner of the firm for the years of 1992 to 1997 and has held the following positions:
- President of the Malaysian Bar Council (1986-1988)
- Special Rapporteur on the Independence of Judges and Lawyers of the United Nations Commission on Human Rights (1994 to 2003).
- Chairman of the Human Rights Committee of the International Bar Association (1986-1989)
- President of the Law Association of Asia and the Pacific (LAWASIA) (1993-1995)
- Vice-President of the International Commission of Jurists (2004-2005)