The newly launched department spearheads the firm’s Regulatory Compliance and Enforcement practice area. As one of the oldest firms in Malaysia, the firm has a long-standing reputation in serving its clients by advising them on various aspects of compliance and governance matters.
The launch of the new department sets another milestone for the firm as the firm looks towards providing a more comprehensive scope of legal service which would address the current concerns and problems faced by our clients.
The department, jointly headed by Jal Othman and Chan Kok Keong, oversees the full spectrum of compliance issues concerning the laws and regulations in Malaysia including, but not limited to the following areas:
• Anti-money laundering
• Banking and finance
• Control of supplies
• Data protection and data privacy
• Environmental, sustainability and governance
• Health and safety
• International trade
• Price control and anti-profiteering
• Product liability
• Public procurement
The firm recognises that compliance risks have become one of the most significant concerns for businesses, regardless of size. The department consists of highly experienced lawyers including a former government agency enforcer, and our lawyers are available to assist in providing advice and legal support to the firm’s clients in designing a workable framework for them to comply with the relevant laws and regulations and to manage legal risks.
In brief, the legal services that the department is able to offer include:
• Applications for permits and licenses
• Advisory work
• Advising on due diligence on compliance issues
• Engagement with the authorities
• Formulation of compliance programmes and policies
• Identification of comprehensive legal risk assessments
• Litigation and dispute resolution services
• Reviewing of documents, policies, guidelines and structures
• Training and induction workshops