Enjoys significant market recognition for its robust domestic corporate practice. Caters to the advisory and transactional needs of domestic and International clients…
– Chambers Asia Pacific 
Our corporate department provides a range of services in the various aspects of corporate and securities law. Our scope of work includes the rendering of legal advice and preparation of documentation in relation to, among others, the following:-
- incorporation of new companies and local subsidiaries of foreign corporations, formation of Malaysian branches of foreign corporations by way of registration as foreign corporations;
- sale and purchase of shares and other securities, leveraged buy-outs, acquisition of businesses and undertakings of companies, in particular, those of commercial and investment banks, insurance companies and stockbroking companies;
- formation of joint ventures, privatisation exercises, shareholders’ agreements and memoranda of understanding;
- initial public offerings of shares to be listed on Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad and the MESDAQ and foreign currency private debt securities to be listed on the Labuan International Financial Exchange, Inc., rights and bonus issues, issuance of redeemable preference shares and other preference shares, warrants, structured warrants, structured products, ringgit and foreign currency private debt securities. (including equity-linked private debt securities) both conventional and Islamic, transferable subscription rights, derivatives and other securities; capital reduction and restructuring;
- employees’ share option schemes, directors’ rights and responsibilities, management agreements and consultancy agreements, corporate administration, board and general meetings;
- mergers and amalgamations, reconstructions and restructurings;
- takeovers of companies including defence against takeovers, and management buy-outs;
- receivership of companies, schemes of arrangement under Section 176 of the Companies Act 1965, appointment and functions of special administrators pursuant to the Pengurusan Danaharta Nasional Berhad Act 1998, voluntary winding-up of companies, appointment and functions of liquidators;
- asset securitisation exercises;
- establishment and listings of exchange traded funds;
- establishment of unit trust funds;
- due diligence exercises and issues and responsibilities relating thereto:
- corporate compliance and regulatory issues, and advising investment banks and companies in respect of such issues:
- drafting of information memoranda and prospectuses
- preparation and drafting of applications and submissions to the Securities Commission and other governmental and quasi-governmental authorities for licences or approvals, including applications to the Foreign Investment Committee in relation to acquisitions of shares in Malaysian companies by local and foreign parties and the Labuan Offshore Financial Services Authority in relation to the issue/offer of foreign currency private debt securities by Labuan companies.
“Established team, well placed to handle M&A and joint ventures for domestic and international clients. Regularly advises on restructuring, compliance and registration issues. The corporate practice is supplemented by a strong banking and finance offering.” – Chambers Asia-Pacific (2017)
“This long-standing player maintains a strong position in the market, acting for a range of important domestic and foreign clients. The team is well equipped to handle complex large-scale transactions and advises a number of top local and international banks and corporates. Highlights include advising Hong Leong Islamic Bank on the ground-breaking transfer of EONCAP Islamic Bank’s entire business to it via a vesting order. This is the first instance in Malaysia of a business transfer being effected by a Scheme of Arrangement.” – Chambers (Asia-Pacific) 2013
“Shook Lin & Bok’s five-partner team is active in high-profile domestic M&A transactions. Ivan Ho Yue Chan advised both EON Capital and Hong Leong on a first-of-its-kind merger of their Islamic banking units.” – Legal 500 Asia Pacific .
Sources say: “Dedication, responsibility and meticulousness in their work set this firm apart.” – Chambers Asia 2012
“Shook Lin & Bok boasts a long history and an outstanding corporate reputation. The firm leverages off its strong banking practice, in which it regularly acts for lenders and is frequently seen on M&A transactions involving financial institutions.” – IFLR 1000 2012
“Five-partner team is active in high-profile domestic M&A transactions. Ivan Ho Yue Chan advised both EON Capital and Hong Leong on a first-of-its-kind merger of their Islamic banking units.” – The Legal 500 
…named the Malaysian M&A Law Firm of the Year 2011 pursuant to the Acquisition International Legal Awards.
…acted in one of the biggest Malaysia merger & acquisition deals in 2010, the 30% stake acquisition in Hong Leong Assurance Berhad. The deal makes Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance (MSI) the second largest general insurer in the country. ALB Legal News.
“Shook Lin & Bok is ‘extremely strong’ on landmark M&A deals particularly those of a cross border nature. The firm has ‘very capable staff’, ‘very good value for money’, and provides ‘rapid responses’.” – The Legal 500 2010/2011
“This firm is noted for its full-service capabilities and excels across the board on financial matters, including complex debt capital markets and vanilla banking transactions. The group has a roster full of some of the most high-profile financial institutions both domestically and internationally, and recently acted for GW Plastics Holdings as it released more than 61 million shares in an IPO. It also advised Cagamas on it high-profile issue of sukuk al-Amanah Li al-Istithmar. Other key clients include AMMB Holdings and Bursa Malaysia.”