B.Comm. LL.B., Monash University
International & Domestic Arbitration, Building and Construction Contract Disputes, Adjudication under the Construction Industry Payment & Adjudication Act 2012, Land Reference matters, Insurance matters, Corporate Litigation, General & Civil Litigation.
Ko Luen joined the firm in 1996 as an associate until 2000. He was subsequently admitted to the Sarawak Bar in 2001 and re-joined the firm as a partner in 2005. He is currently the Head of the firm’s Building, Construction & Engineering department and the Deputy Head of the International & Domestic Arbitration department.
Ko Luen specializes in the areas of International & Domestic Arbitration, Building & Construction Contract Disputes and General & Civil Litigation. He appears as counsel in court, arbitration and adjudication hearings. Ko Luen also sits as an arbitrator in arbitration proceedings and an adjudicator in adjudication proceedings.
His work experience includes:
- Advisory, drafting and assisting in negotiations, representing clients (local and multinationals) in court and in domestic and international arbitration proceedings.
- Advising clients on matters relating to EPCC and REPPA in Malaysia, issues arising out of design and construction of bridges, shipbuilding contracts in China, construction of oil and gas platforms in Malaysia, design and construction of ports in Malaysia, major hydro-electric projects in Sarawak, construction work related to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), major projects undertaken in Singapore and Johor relating to construction contracts involving rehabilitation, refurbishment, design, fabrication, shipment, erection, testing, engineering, procurement and construction of terminal export facilities of a butadiene extraction plant, the design and construction of a major water treatment plant in Johor, matters relating to the manufacturer and supply of Electric Train Sets (ETS) and a major joint venture involving over 11,000 hectares of land in Sabah.
- Providing legal representation to foreign governments including the Government of Singapore, the Government of India and the Government of Laos in proceedings in Malaysia.
- Arbitration proceedings under various institutional rules including the KLRCA Rules, the PAM Rules and the ICC Rules of Arbitration.
- Adjudication proceedings under the Construction Industry Payment and Adjudication Act (CIPAA).
- Past President, The Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (MIArb)
- President, The Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (MIArb) (2013-2015)
- Deputy President, The Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (MIArb) (2011-2013)
- Vice President, The Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (MIArb) (2008-2010)
- Honorary Secretary, The Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (MIArb) (2006-2008)
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators [UK]
- Fellow, Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, Malaysian Bar
- Member of Panel of Arbitrators, Asian International Arbitration Centre (formerly known as Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration)
- Member of Panel of Arbitrators, The Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators (MIArb)
- Member of Panel of Arbitrators, South China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (also known as Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration) (SCIA) (1.12.2015-30.11.2018)
- Member of Panel of International Arbitrators, Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB) International (1.6.2018-31.5.2021)
- Member of Panel of Adjudicators, Asian International Arbitration Centre (formerly known as Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration)
- Member, ICC Malaysia Arbitration Working Committee (2011-current)
- Member, Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA)
Ko Luen was rated by Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific 2018 as a ‘Disputes Star’ in the practice areas of Commercial & Transactions and Construction.
“Lam Ko Luen is a growing force in the market, with sources describing him as ‘a hard-working construction lawyer who is liked by many clients.’ Active on construction contract and general disputes, he handles both litigation and arbitration proceedings. Further commentators commend his ‘very tenacious’ approach.” – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018.
Asialaw Profiles 2018 described Ko Luen as “Efficient and professional” with “good cross examination skills”.
Listed as one of the Leading Lawyers in Energy and Infrastructure, Disputes – IFLR1000 (2017 & 2016 Edition).
“Lam Ko Luen is a construction disputes expert who makes an important contribution to the firm’s offering in this area.” – Chambers (Asia-Pacific) 2013 accolades.
Ko Luen was rated in Chambers Asia  and  in the area of Construction Disputes:
“Excellent service and clear vision of what is truly best for the client.” – Chambers Asia 
“Lam Ko Luen is the firm’s construction expert and is a hugely respected figure in the field” – Chambers Asia