Sin Min joined the firm in 1985 and became a partner in 1992. She has been admitted to both the Bars in Malaya and Singapore and is a litigator in civil disputes, with her specialty in the area of banking and finance, land law and commercial litigation. She appears regularly in the appellate courts and has been involved in numerous landmark cases in the country.
She regularly acts and renders advice in matters relating to private debt securities/sukuk, receiverships and insolvencies, restructuring of debts/schemes of arrangements, and handles disputes relating to performance bonds, syndicated loans, Islamic financing, trade finance and forward foreign exchange transactions, financial derivatives, investment banking, ship financing and maritime vessel ownership matters. She also regularly handles legal disputes relating to land law and company law, and is frequently engaged to defend various institutions against claims, including for negligence, defamation, conspiracy, fraud, breach of contract, trust and fiduciary duties and breach of statutory duties.
She represented Kuwait Finance House (Malaysia) Berhad in a constitutional dispute in 2018 where for the first time ever in Malaysia, a 9-member panel of judges of the Federal Court sat to hear a dispute.
She had regularly acted for the Danaharta Group of companies, set up under the Pengurusan Danaharta Nasional Berhad Act, which Act was enacted to deal with the financial crisis in the late 1990s, and she continues to act for Prokhas Sdn Bhd, which is wholly-owned by the Minister of Finance, Inc.
Sin Min is a member of the Financial Stability Executive Committee of Bank Negara Malaysia, as set up under the Central Bank Act, 2009.
She is also a council member of the Insolvency Practitioners Association of Malaysia (IPAM).
She has been recognised by several established publications including Legal500, Chamber and Partners and Asialaw Profiles.
- The ‘experienced’ Yoong Sin Min, who leads the banking litigation practice jointly with Chan Kok Keong, has ‘in-depth knowledge’ – Legal500 Asia Pacific (2019)
- Yoong Sin Min is described as having a “high level of professionalism and technical expertise.” – Asialaw Profiles (2019)
- Yoong Sin Min has considerable expertise in banking litigation, regularly advising leading financial institutions. Her practice also covers insolvency, land matters and contractual disputes. Clients attest: “I like that she is there to give advice and direction, which is something we treasure.” – Chambers Asia Pacific (2019)
- Head of banking and finance litigation Yoong Sin Min displays ‘admirable attention to detail, a tremendous knowledge of the law and a focus on achieving the desired result’ – Legal500 Asia Pacific (2016)
- Yoong Sin Min is described by a client as a “powerhouse in financial dispute resolution” – Asialaw Profiles (2015)
- Yoong Sin Min was listed under the Legal500 Asia Pacific 2014 as a recommended lawyer in the area of Dispute Resolution.
- She was also named a Leading Lawyer in the category of “Litigation and Dispute Resolution” in the 2012 Islamic Finance news Leading Lawyers and Law Firm polls.
In March 2019, she accepted an award from the Asian Legal Business Malaysia Law Awards for the Litigation Law Firm of the Year 2019 on behalf of Shook Lin and Bok.