Further to our last clients’ alert dated 29th April 2020, the Malaysian Government has announced that Movement Control Order becomes Conditional Movement Control Order (“CMCO”) from 13th May 2020 to 9th June 2020. Government offices and specified private offices and businesses are allowed to resume business, subject to stipulated Standard Operating Procedures issued by the Ministry of Health and the relevant government departments being adhered to.
All Courts in Malaysia have resumed hearings, whether with personal attendance by lawyers and witnesses or via Skype, from 13th May 2020.
The Intellectual Property Corporation of Malaysia (“MyIPO”) resumes operations for 2/3 days a week. IP agents and members of public are required to make appointment for filing of documents and other businesses. This is to ensure social distancing.
MyIPO has issued a directive on deadline as follows:-
Deadlines, hearings and certification of documents
- Manual filing of trademark, patent and industrial design applications which involve claiming of priority date falling within 18th March 2020 to 9th June 2020 will be extended to 10th June 2020.
- Deadline for payment of annuity and renewal fee for patents, utility innovations, industrial designs and trademarks will be extended to 16th June 2020.
- Deadline to respond to any office action issued by MyIPO will be extended to 16th June 2020.
- All other deadlines and procedure remain unchanged as per our clients’ alert dated 31st March 2020.
Our offices resume full operation from 13th May 2020. As part of the precautionary steps to minimise possible risk of exposure to the virus by our lawyers, staff and clients, some of our lawyers and staff are working from home on a rotation basis. Our priority is the well-being of our lawyers and staff as well as clients. All our partners and lawyers can be reached via e-mail or their mobile phone. We would like to assure our clients that all their instructions are being attended to promptly.
Please feel free to contact us should you need clarification or our assistance.
Managing Partner and Head, IP
H/P No.: +6012-3032728
H/P No.: +6012-9146558
H/P No.: +6017-8920420
* This Alert is intended for general information of the clients of our Firm. It should not be regarded as legal professional advice. If you need advice based on specific facts, please feel free to contact us.